Friday 26 August 2011

The Breakfast Club






Brunch is the best meal of the day. Fact.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy going out for dinner, but brunch is a whole other story.  I love the food, the chat and the sense of indulgence that comes from knowing that you could just have a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast.  You deserve better than that, you deserve brunch.
The only thing I don’t like My least favourite thing is trying to decide what to have.  The eternal question, sweet or savoury?  I have been known to order eggs Royale AND the pancakes, as a kind of breakfast dessert if you will.  Not great for the waistline.
Last Sunday I found the solution to this age-old problem at the most amazing of all brunch venues, The Breakfast Club.



I was taken to the Spitalfields cafe by a dear friend and fellow foodie with whom I regularly brunch-date.  I had checked out the menu online and knew that choosing one dish would be an issue.  Huevos rancheros, breakfast burrito, chorizo and hashbrowns - I seem to be having a Mexican moment.  I checked out the plates being brought out from the lazy waiter to the other diners to try to aid my indecisiveness and then I saw it...



A plate of thick, fluffy french toast topped with perfectly cooked streaky bacon, freshly sliced banana and maple syrup.  I wasn’t sure if it would work but I knew I had to try it.  I turned over the menu so as to avoid any further temptation and grabbed the waitress to order before I changed my mind.  
Sipping on my Pommy Granny smoothie I waited in anticipation of the first bite.  
Just perfect.
The perfect balance between sweet and savoury.  Never will I have to order two breakfasts again.  


Although the avocado, bacon and poached egg on toast looked tempting.  Oh dear.


Katy's selection of avocado, bacon and a poached egg on granary toast 
with some chilli thrown in to start the day with a kick

I definitely heart The Breakfast Club

Childhood memories line the walls of the ladies

Breakfast o'clock

It couldn't not be after a brunch like that



No comments:

Post a Comment